www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts current affairs from various Newspapers
India invited to G-7 outreach session
- India has got an invitation from France to attend the outreach Session at the G-7 Summit to be held in France in August 2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has accepted the invitation from French President to attend the outreach session of the G-7 Summit as a special invitee.
- The 45th summit of the G7 group of countries is going to take place from 24 to 26 August 2019 in Biarritz in France.
States can now constitute Foreigners Tribunals
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has amended the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order, 1964.
- MHA has empowered district magistrates in all States and Union Territories to set up tribunals to decide whether a person staying illegally in India is a foreigner or not.
- Earlier, the powers to constitute tribunals were vested only with the Centre.
India’s 1st BS-VI certificate released
- International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) released India’s first Type Approval
- Certificate (TAC) for Bharat Stage – VI (BS – VI) norms for the 2-wheeler segment in New Delhi.
- The certificate was released and handed over by Director ICAT, Dinesh Tyagi to top officials of the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers).
IRSDC entered into tripartite agreement
- Indian Railway Station Development Corporation (IRSDC) entered a Tripartite Agreement with French Railways (SNCF) & AFD, on 10th June 2019.
- Under this agreement, AFD has agreed to provide in-kind grant financing up to 7,00,000 EURO,through French National Railways (SNCF)-Hubs and Connexions to IRSDC
- This will support the Railway Station Development Program in India.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi accepted Macron’s invite to attend outreach session of G7 Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi accepted an invitation to attend the session of the G7 Summit in Biarritz.
- The 45th summit of the G7 group of countries takes place from August 24 to August 26 in Biarritz, France.
- Lemoyne visited India and he is the first French ministerial trip to the country after the Narendra Modi government assumed office.
- Queries related to the comments of the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of France Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne regarding the invitation extended to India.
MoSPI has proposed to set up a National Data Warehouse to leverage big data analytical tools
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) has proposed to set up a National Data Warehouse with an aim to leveraging big data analytical tools.
- This move is to further improve the quality of macro-economic aggregates.
- MoSPI also plans to introduce a legislative framework so that the National Statistical Commission (NSC) can function with independence and give holistic guidance for improving the national statistical system.
- The move also lends its support to the system reforms that are currently ongoing. It will also ensure the responsiveness to the changing needs of society that are necessary.
- This proposed set up is necessary as there are increasing demands on the statistical system for the production of relevant and quality statistics.
India debut flag in World Rafting Championship
- India is making debut in the adventurous game of Rafting.
- Former Prime Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports team played in World Rafting Championship which is taking place in Tuncelli.
- There are 20 teams from 20 countries are challenging for the title.
- President of Turkish Rafting Federation Fikret Yadimei expressed his excitement over hosting the World Rafting Championship.
- The championship commenced on June 8 and will conclude on June 13.
- It is the official umbrella International Sports Federation for national rafting organizations worldwide and administers all aspects of rafting sport worldwide.
- World Rafting Championships (WRC), European Rafting Championships (ERC), Pan American Rafting Championships, and the Euro Cup rafting series are governed by the IRF.
- It works closely with national organizations and government bodies by offering the only raft guide certification program accepted worldwide.
India, Bangladesh border forces to hold talks in Dhaka
- The 48th Director General Level Border Co-ordination Conference between Border Security Force of India and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) will be organised at Dhaka, Bangladesh from today.
- An official release said the four-day conference is being organised to discuss border-related issues and for better coordination between both forces.
Thawarchand Gehlot appointed leader of Rajya Sabha
- Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Thawarchand Gehlot has been appointed as the leader of Rajya Sabha.
- He will replace senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley who opted out of the government citing health reasons. Mr Gehlot is a Rajya Sabha member representing Madhya Pradesh.
Scholarships to 5 crore minority students in next 5 years: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- The government will provide scholarships to five crore minority students in the next five years to ensure their socio-economic-educational empowerment.
- The scholarships include pre-matric, post-matric and merit-cum-means.
- Of the five crore students, 50 per cent will be girls students.
- Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said this while chairing the Governing and General Body meetings of Maulana Azad Education Foundation in New Delhi yesterday.
- NDA government is committed to inclusive growth with trust.
- The Minister also announced that Padho-Badho Awareness Campaign will be launched across the country. The campaign will be launched in 60 minority concentrated districts during the first phase.
US diplomat to visit Sudan
- A top US diplomat will visit Sudan to encourage talks between Sudan’s military rulers and protesters.
- The US, assistant secretary of state for African affairs, Tibor Nagy, during his visit plans to meet members of both sides.
- Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) called the strike after more than 100 protesters were killed by a paramilitary group on 3 June 2019.
China to make trade deal with the US
- China will enter into a trade deal with the United States, as told by US President Donald Trump.
- Increased tariffs on Chinese products is having an impact on its economy.
- China will subsidise their product because there is a need to keep people working, so China is going to pay a lot.
- The US has put 25% tariffs on 250 billion dollars of Chinese goods.
US Secretary to visit India in June 2019
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo would visit India in June 2019 to forge relations with India.
- He would outline the US strategy on the Indo-Pacific ahead of his trip to India.
- New Delhi would be Pompeo’s first stop during the nearly week-long visit to the Indo-Pacific region.
- The tour includes Sri Lanka and Japan with South Korea being his last stop.
V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust inked MoU
- The V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust, Tuticorin and Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC) signed a MoU on 10 June 2019.
- It will facilitate Direct Port Entry (DPE) of e-sealed factory stuffed export container to the port under‘Ease of Doing Business’.
Pompeo to meet PM Modi, EAM Jaishankar to discuss ambitious agenda for bilateral partnership
- The US State Department has said, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will discuss an ambitious agenda for the US-India strategic partnership when he meets with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar later this month in New Delhi. Mr Pompeo will visit India, Sri Lanka, Japan and South Korea from 24th to 30th of this month.
- State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said, Mr Pompeo’s visit aims to deepen America’s partnerships with key countries to advance their shared goal of a free and open Indo-Pacific region. The spokesperson also said, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent election victory provides an excellent opportunity for him to implement his vision for a strong and prosperous India that plays a leading role on the global stage.
Pakistan assures support for stable & peaceful Afghanistan
- Pakistan has assured support for a stable and peaceful Afghanistan at the first Review session of the Afghanistan-Pakistan Action Plan for Peace and Solidarity (APAPPS) held in Islamabad.
- Delegations from the two nations held the first review session of a bilateral engagement framework to improve cooperation in different fields.
- Pakistan Foreign Secretary Sohail Mahmood and Afghan Deputy Foreign Minister Idrees Zaman led their respective multi-agency delegations in the meeting.
- It was agreed that the APAPPS was the best forum to overcome common challenges and to take bilateral relations to the next level and it was emphasized to optimally utilise this mechanism.
- The APAPPS was established last year to provide a comprehensive and structured framework for institutional engagement in diverse areas of bilateral cooperation between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
US imposes sanctions on Syrian industrialist Samer Foz
- United States imposed sanctions on Samer Foz, a Syrian industrialist behind high-end developments for allegedly enriching President Bashar al-Assad.
- US Undersecretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial intelligence, Sigal Mandelker, said this Syrian oligarch is directly supporting the Assad regime and building luxury developments on land stolen from those fleeing his brutality.
- The US Treasury Department also blacklisted properties of Foz and his Aman Holding Company including the Four Seasons hotel.
‘UAE paid businessman to spy on Trump administration’
- A UAE businessman linked to a probe of illegal donations to Donald Trump’s political campaign was paid by his country’s intelligence agency to spy on the U.S. President’s administration.
- Rashid al-Malik received tens of thousands of dollars a month for gleaning information on Trump administration policy toward West Asia in 2017.
- UAE’s National Intelligence Service on topics of interest to the oil-producing Gulf state — including U.S. efforts to mediate a Gulf feud involving Qatar — as well as meetings between U.S. officials and Saudi Arabia’s powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- Late last year, The New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported that U.S. federal prosecutors were investigating whether foreigners illegally funnelled donations to Mr. Trump’s inaugural committee and a pro-Trump fundraising super PAC. Mr. Al-Malik, chairman of the investment firm Hayah Holdings, was interviewed by special counsel Robert Muller’s office as part of the probe, according to the New York Times.
China appoints veteran diplomat Sun Weidong as new envoy to India
- China has appointed veteran diplomat Sun Weidong as its new envoy to India. Mr Sun, who also served as the ambassador to Pakistan, is currently the Director General of the Policy and Planning Department of the Foreign Ministry.
- He will succeed Luo Zhaohui, who has been appointed as Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Mahindra won gold award in South Africa
- India’s automobile major Mahindra won the Gold Award for fairing on various indicators.
- The automobile giant, which has more than 60 dealers in South Africa, secured the top position out of the 29 vehicle brands surveyed for the awards.
Cheque books for no-frills accounts
- The RBI has allowed banks to offer cheque book facility and other services to the no-frills account holders.
- But they could not ask such account holders to maintain any minimum balance for such services.
- As per the norms of no-frills account, account holders are not required to maintain minimum balance and can get certain minimum facilities for free.
India’s first dinosaur museum in Gujarat
- Gujarat has joined the Jurassic bandwagon with India’s first ever Dinosaur-Museum-cum-Park in Raiyoli in Mahisagar district.
- Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani inaugurated the museum that is set to give visitors a Jurassic Park feel.
- Located in Raiyoli area of Balasinor, the museum will have fossil records and remains of various dinosaur species.
Mount Sinabung volcano erupted in Sumatra Island
- Mount Sinabung volcano erupted in Sumatra Island of western Indonesia. A huge column of ash was blasted and spread 7 km high to southeast and south of crater.
- Mount Sinabung blew for nine minutes. It caused panic among the island’s residents. The volcanic activity was accompanied by multiple earthquakes felt in nearby villages. No casualties have been reported due to the eruption.
- Indonesia has nearly 130 active volcanoes, more than any other country.
- Sinabung was inactive for around 400 years before it erupted in 2010, 2014 and February 2018. Since then it has become one of south east Asian nation’s most active volcanoes.
- Mount Sinabung is a Pleistocene-to-Holocene stratovolcano located in North Sumatra. It is particularly prone to seismic activity due to its location on the Ring of Fire.
- Ring of Fire: It an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
Amitav Ghosh to be honoured with Jnanpith Award 2018
- The Jnanpith award for the year 2018 will be given to the noted English writer Amitav Ghosh. Former Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi will present the award to him at a function in New Delhi.
- The award is given for outstanding contribution in literature.