www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts current affairs from various Newspapers
India signs 300-cr deal to buy bombs
- The Indian Air Force signed a ₹300-crore deal with Israel for around 100 Spice-2000 bombs.
- These bombs were used during the February 26 air strikes in Pakistan’s Balakot.
- The bombs would reportedly be delivered to the Air Force in the next three months.
- This is reportedly the first defence deal to be inked by the new government.
Andhra CM to get 5 deputies
- Jagan Mohan Reddy, who took power in Andhra Pradesh, will have a record five Deputy Chief Ministers.
- He would have five deputies and a full 25- member cabinet, which would represent the aspirations of all communities.
- The deputy Chief Ministers will represent SCs, STs, Backward Classes, minorities and the Kapu communities
Defence Minister Rajanth in 4 more committees
- Rajnath Singh’s name in only two Cabinet committees – economic affairs and security.
- The government effected a change,bringing him in four more panels;those on political affairs,parliamentary affairs,Investment and growth,empowerment and skill development.
- Singh will now head the Cabinet committee on parliamentary affairs of which Modi is not a member but shah is in.
Wipro founder Premji to retire next month
- IT major Wipro Ltd announced that its founder Azim H Premji would retire as executive chairman and MD of the company by the end of July.
- Azim Premji is a recipient of Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan awards.
- He’s going to hand over reins of the firm to his son Rishad.
- Wipro board has also announced that CEO and executive director Abidali Z. Neemuchwala will be re-designated as CEO and MD.
S Jaishankar discusses key elements of ties with Bhutan’s top leadership
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met Bhutan’s top leadership, including Prime Minister Lotay Tshering and discussed important elements of the bilateral ties with emphasis on development partnership and cooperation in the hydropower sector.
- Earlier, Jaishankar held talks with his Bhutanese counterpart Tandi Dorji and discussed issues of mutual interest with an emphasis on development partnership and hydropower.
- India is committed to further enriching its special and unique ties with Bhutan.
- The excellent relations have been built and nurtured by visionary Monarchs as well as the successive leaders of India.
Central Government seeks inputs from citizens on Union Budget 2019-20
- Central Government has sought inputs from citizens on the Union Budget 2019-20 with a view to making the Budget-making exercise more participative and inclusive. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will present the budget on 5th of July.
- The comments have been sought on government’s portal – mygov.in by 20th of this month.
- According to the portal, the Ministry of Finance sought inputs from citizens saying that this has been a practice for the last several years.
- Citizens from all walks of life are welcome to be a part of this democratic exercise.
- The first session of the newly elected 17th Lok Sabha will be held from 17th of June to 26th July. The Economic Survey for 2019-20 will be tabled on 4th of July followed by the presentation of the budget on the next day.
India, Japan relations growing in several areas, says Japanese Envoy
- Ambassador of Japan to India Mr. Kenji Hiramatsu today said, India and Japan relations are growing in several areas.
- The next five years are crucial for the relationship of both the sides.
- Japan is looking for more business opportunities in India. He said, Japan is ready to support India in its infrastructure development growth.
- Japan is looking for more access to the Indian market.
- The two countries must now make efforts to take the bilateral relations to a newer level.
- New Delhi will provide more space to Tokyo in the field of investment and trade.
- Both the sides can also increase their cooperation in security and space area.
India to enhance its commitment to Sri Lanka
- India’s foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale said that India will enhance its commitment to Sri Lanka in the wake of the recent bomb attacks on churches and hotels that killed more than 250.
- The announcement is made ahead of the visit of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Sri Lanka on June 8. The PM will be visiting the Maldives also. This will be his first foreign trip since winning a second term in power.
Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel Takes Oath As New CJI Of Delhi High Court
- Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel sworn in as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
- Lt Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath of office to Justice Patel at a function held at Raj Niwas.
- Earlier, Justice Patel was posted at the Jharkhand High Court.
- Supreme Court Collegium recommended his name for the appointment as Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court
Russia launched Arctic train service
- In Russia, the first tourist train traveling through Russia’s Arctic region and on to Norway, set off from St. Petersburg station on 6 June 2019.
- It had 91 passengers aboard for the inaugural trial journey.
- The tourists came from seven countries including the US, Germany, Norway, and Russia.
- The train is named Zarengold.
Nirmala to attend G20 meeting in Japan
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will attend the 2-day meeting of G-20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank governors in Japan on June 8-9, 2019.
- It is the first overseas visit of Sitharaman as the Finance Minister.
- The main aim is to focus on the risks and challenges of overseas trade and investment in infrastructure which are faced by our country.
PM Modi to visit Maldives
- PM Narendra Modi will be on a two-day visit to Maldives beginning 8 June 2019.
- The visit is reflective of the new momentum in high-level exchanges between India and Maldives.
- The visits to Maldives and Sri Lanka will demonstrate the priority India attaches to its Neighbourhood-First Policy and the SAGAR (Security And Growth for All in the Region) Doctrine.
Donald Trump calls off plan to impose tariffs on Mexico
- US President Donald Trump has suspended plans to impose tariffs on Mexico, as the country has agreed to take strong measures to stem the flow of Central American migrants into the United States.
- Mr Trump is pleased to inform that the US has reached a signed agreement with Mexico and the tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the US against Mexico are indefinitely suspended.
- Mexico has agreed to work to stem the tide of Migration through Mexico, and to US Southern Border.
- These steps would greatly reduce, or eliminate, Illegal Immigration coming from Mexico and into the United States.
- According to a US-Mexico Joint Declaration released by the State Department it will work to greatly expand a program that returns asylum-seekers who cross the southern border to Mexico while their claims are adjudicated.
US hits Iran’s largest petrochemical group with sanctions
- United States has hit Iran’s petrochemical group PGPIC with economic sanctions due to its ties with the country’s Revolutionary Guards.
- The move aims to choke off financing to the country’s largest and most profitable petrochemical group and extends to its 39 subsidiaries and foreign-based sales agents.
- The action is a warning that US will continue to target holding groups and companies that provide financial lifelines to the Revolutionary Guards.
- Treasury warned that international companies continuing to partner with PGPIC or subsidiaries and sales agents will themselves be exposed to US sanctions.
- Following President Donald Trump’s decision to abandon the 2015 nuclear deal negotiated by his predecessor, US efforts over the past year to choke off Iran’s economy have angered allies as foreign companies get caught up in the dispute.
- The PGPIC group holds 40 per cent of Iran’s total petrochemical production capacity and is responsible for 50 percent of the country’s petrochemical exports.
- Meanwhile, Iran has rejected an idea mooted by France of re-opening nuclear talks, warning that seeking to broaden an existing landmark treaty could lead to its collapse.
U.S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo to address India conference in Washington
- S. Secretary of State Michael Pompeo will deliver the keynote address on ‘The U.S. and India: An Economic Foundation for a Free and Open Indo-Pacific’ in Washington D.C. Mr. Pompeo’s remarks will be delivered at the India Ideas summit, a two-day conference organised by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s U.S.-India Business Council at a time when the trade relationship between the two countries faces strong headwinds despite the fact that bilateral trade between the two countries has been growing.
- The S. withdrew preferential trade access for Indian goods under the Generalized System of Preferences, citing a lack of assurances on market access for U.S. goods in India.
- Simultaneously, the U.S. is hoping to increase its sale of defence equipment to India.
- At the same time, the defence aspects of the relationship are not without looming challenges.
- India has committed to buying the S-400 Triumf missile defence system from Russia — a move that could attract U.S. sanctions and, as per recent U.S. administration warnings, preclude a deep defence relationship with India.
- These developments come at a time when the U.S. is confronting China on various fronts, from trade to security and China’s ambitions, including via its Belt and Road Initiative.
- Pompeo is expected in New Delhi in the last week of June to prepare for a meeting between Prime Minister Modi and U.S. President Donald Trump in Osaka, Japan, where the G-20 will meet on June 28 and 29.
Putin, Xi present common economic front
- China’s Xi Jinping and Russia’s Vladimir Putin hit back at U.S. global economic dominance on Friday as they took the stage together at Russia’s showcase business forum.
- With China embroiled in a trade war with Washington and Russia under Western sanctions, Mr. Xi and Mr. Putin lashed out at “inequalities” in the global economic system and vowed to pursue closer ties between their countries.
- Xi’s visit has seen the signing of dozens of commercial contracts in e-commerce, telecoms, gas and other areas.
- Other deals have been signed at the forum, including one between Russian and Chinese shipping companies to work together to develop Arctic sea routes.
- While this is the Chinese leader’s first appearance at the economic forum, where he heads a 1,000-strong delegation, he and Putin have met regularly in recent years.
- Ahead of Xi’s visit, Kremlin advisor Yury Ushakov described China as “Russia’s most important economic partner”.
- The partnership is yielding increasing trade, which grew by 25 percent in 2018 to hit a record $108 billion.
Tamil Nadu govt, World bank signed agreement
- Tamil Nadu Government(GoTN) and the World Bank signed a $287-million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme (TNHSRP).
- The main aim is to improve the quality of healthcare and to reduce the burden of non- communicable diseases (NCDs).
- Tamil Nadu is also dealing with a growing burden of NCDs as they account for nearly 69 percent of deaths in the State.
RBI removes NEFT, RTGS payment charges
- RBI has removed charges for payments via NEFT and RTGS.This means that payments via NEFT and RTGS would become either free or charges would be low.
- RBI levies minimum charges on banks for transactions routed through its Real Time Gross Settlement System (RTGS) meant for large- value instantaneous fund transfers and the National Electronic Funds Transfer System for other fund transfers
SCIENCE AND TECH
Google Maps launches features for real-time updates on public transports in India
- Google tech Behemoth invented three new features- bus travel times from live traffic in 10 of the largest cities in India
- The live train status for Indian Railways trains, and mixed-mode commute suggestions that now combine auto-rickshaw and public transport.
- The travel plan of Indian users are predicted by transit time while traveling on buses.
- Google map enable users to know how long a bus trip will take when factoring in live traffic conditions
- This feature launched in 10 cities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune, Lucknow, Chennai, Mysore, Coimbatore, and Surat.
- The partnership app is Where is My Train app acquired by Google in December 2018.
- It helped for Google’s ‘Next Billion Users’ initiative.
- The feature is live in two cities in Delhi and Bengaluru.
- India is the top three countries for Google Maps transit usage.
- The search engine over 300 million users in the country.
- Google Map has more than 10,000 routes it can predict the transit time accurately.
- It will be available on Android and iPhones.
- Apple hiring spree to expand its products in India.
DAYS AND EVENTS
World Oceans Day is celebrated on 8th June
- World Oceans Day is celebrated on 8th June every year. The day was declared in 2008. June 8 was marked as it marks the day when it was first proposed in 1992 by Canada’s International Centre for Ocean Development (ICOD) and the Ocean Institute of Canada (OIC) at the Earth Summit, UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The Conference supported the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 14 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- The theme for the year 2019 is Gender and Oceans. The theme is to build greater ocean and gender literacy and to discover possible ways to promote gender equality in ocean-related activities such as marine scientific research, fisheries, labour at sea, migration by sea and human trafficking, as well as policy-making and management.
- The importance of gender equality is being recognized increasingly for the effective conservation and sustainable use of oceans, seas, and marine resources. Yet very little data and researches are available on these issues. Serious action towards gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls is still needed in all ocean-related sectors to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 5.
India routed Russia in Int Fed. of Hockey
- In the International Federation of Hockey men’s series Finals, India routed Russia 10-0 in their opening match.
- The match began in Bhubaneshwar on 6 June 2019.
- Harmanpreet Singh and Akashdeep Singh scored braces as six others got on the score sheet.
- Nilakanta Sharma was declared man of the match.