www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts current affairs from various Newspapers
CMFRI and ISRO ink MoU to protect wetlands
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- They will map, validate and protect smaller wetlands by restoring them through coastal livelihood programmes.
- They will develop a mobile app and a centralized web portal with a complete database of wetlands.
Prasar Bharati Chairman releases booklet
- Prasar Bharati Chairman, A Surya Prakash released a booklet of the ‘Selected speeches of Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar in the Constituent Assembly’, in New Delhi on 12 April 2019.
- The event was organized to commemorate the contributions of Baba Saheb in the upliftment of underprivileged in the country.
- The event was organized to mark the 128th birth anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar.
UAE to host world’s foremost Artificial Intelligence Summit
- UAE is set to host the world’s foremost Artificial Intelligence,AI Summit to empower global dialogue on the future of government, business and society.
- The inaugural ‘AI Everything’, AIE will take place at the Dubai World Trade Centre, between 30th of this month and 1st of next month.
- The two-day event will bring together world leaders to define the underlying pillars of governance, business and society – augmenting the world’s happiness.
- It will be hosted by the UAE National Programme for Artificial Intelligence, with the support of International Telecommunication Union, ITU, and the World Intellectual Property Organization, WIPO, and in strategic partnership with Smart Dubai.
- AIE will unravel real-world use cases across industries, and forge collaborations and partnerships, hosting over 130 influential speakers.
Abu Dhabi International Book Fair: India nominated as Guest of Honour
- The 29th edition of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair (ADIBF) is all set to receive more than 1000 exhibitors from 50 countries.
- India has been nominated as the “Guest of Honour” country at the Book Fair.
- The Book Fair is scheduled to be held at the UAE capital from 24th to 30th of this month, where more than five lakhs title are expected to be displayed.
- The National Book Trust of India along with Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will lead a 100-strong delegation to the Book Fair comprising of celebrated authors, publishers, literary figures and artists.
- India will have the biggest pavilion at the book fair.
- Apart from the eminent authors in both English and other regional languages, India pavilion will also host an impressive line-up of cultural shows, poetry sessions and workshops.
IMO’s new rule on information exchange
- A new global rule mandated by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) for national governments to introduce electronic information exchange between ships and ports took effect from 8 April 2019.
- The rule seeks to make cross-border trade simpler.
- The rule is mandatory under IMO’s Convention on Facilitation of International Maritime Traffic (FAL Convention).
World Allergy Week 2019: 7-13 April
- World Allergy Week 2019 was observed from 7 to 13 April 2019.
- The theme for World Allergy Week 2019 is “The Global Problem of Food Allergy”.
- World Allergy Week is a global campaign of the World Allergy Organization (WAO), which aims to raise awareness of the impact of allergy in our communities.
Lapin confirmed as Haiti’s new Prime Minister
- Haiti’s President Jovenel Moise confirmed Jean-Michel Lapin as the country’s new Prime Minister.
- Lapin, the former culture and communications minister, was named acting prime minister on 21 March 2019.
- Lapin is the third head of government under president Moise, who has led the Caribbean island nation since February 2017.
Abdelkader: Interim President of Algeria
- The Algerian Parliament on 9 April 2019 confirmed upper house Speaker Abdelkader Bensalah as the interim President of the country.
- The interim President has to conduct the elections within 90 days and cannot legally contest in the polls.
- On 2 April 2019, Bouteflika resigned as Algeria’s president before his mandate was to end on April 28, after remaining in power for about 20 years.
HDFC tops Forbes’ list of best Indian banks
- Forbes has compiled a first-ever list of the World’s Best Bank 2019 in terms of customer services and technological advancements.
- The private lender, HDFC Bank, was ranked at the top of the list.
- After HDFC Bank, another private lender ICICI Bank took the second spot, while DBS was at the third rank in Forbes list of Indian banks.
Science & Tech
Impact of space travel on astronauts revealed
- Scientists have found no major epigenetic differences in astronaut Scott Kelly, who spent a year in space aboard the International Space Station, and his twin brother, Mark Kelly, who remained on Earth.
- Epigenetic changes involve chemical tweaks to DNA that can influence gene activity.
- The changes affect when and how a gene is read, or expressed, for its protein-encoding instructions.
New sensor can detect dangerous chemicals
- Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the US have developed a spectrometer that can be used in smartphone-sized devices to detect dangerous chemicals.
- Spectrometer could be integrated with the camera of a typical cellphone. o The device collects information about each individual pixel in an image to identify materials or detect specific objects
Digital Sukoon receives Best Digital award
- Digital Sukoon founder, Sudhanshu Kumar was honored with the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Nobel Award by International Human Rights Council on 10 April 2019.
- Digital Sukoon received the Best Digital Agency of the Year 2019.
- Digital Sukoon provides a comprehensive 360-degree solution to their clients for the promotional needs by creating innovative campaigns and optimum usage of technology tools.
Murali Kartik appointed as brand ambassador
- Funtasy11, a fantasy sports platform, appointed former Indian cricketer Murali Kartik as its brand ambassador.
- A classical left-arm spinner, Kartik has represented India across formats between 2000 and 2007.
- Funtasy11 is a skill-based prediction and fantasy sports platform that also provides curated social media content, making it a one-stop solution for a fantasy gaming user.
Inzamam become MCC Honorary Life Members
- Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mark Boucher, the former South Africa wicketkeeper, were made Honorary Life Members of the Marylebone
- The two have been included in recognition of their outstanding achievements in cricket.
- Inzamam is now the fifth Honorary Life Member of the MCC from his country, after Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shahid Afridi.