www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts current affairs from various Newspapers
Tata Trust and Microsoft signed MoU
- Tata Trusts and Microsoft India signed a MoU to jointly rejuvenate the handloom clusters in the Eastern and North- Eastern parts of the country.
- Microsoft’s ReWeave initiative helps preserve traditional weaving forms by upskilling, design, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
- Tata Trusts’ initiative, ‘Antaran’, aims at rejuvenating ailing handloom clusters through an end-to-end programme.
India’s population grew at 1.2% average
- India’s population grew at an average annual rate of 1.2% between 2010-2019 to 1.36 billion, according to a report by the United Nations Population Fund.
- India’s population in 2019 stood at 1.36 billion, growing from 942.2 million in 1994 and 541.5 million in 1969. The data was given by the UN sexual and reproductive health agency in the State of World Population 2019 report.
INS Shikra hosted Naval Investiture Ceremony
- The Naval Investiture Ceremony was held at the naval helicopter base INS Shikra of Western Naval Command (WNC), Mumbai on Admiral Sunil Lanba conferred Gallantry and non-Gallantry Awards to meritorious personnel, as well as citations to Naval units which have distinguished themselves during the past year.
- A 50-men Guard of Honour was paraded during the ceremonial parade.
GS-II ( International Affairs)
Benjamin Netanyahu won Israel’s elections
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has managed to hold on to power, winning a record fifth term in office despite a bruising reelection fight.
- Netanyahu is the longest-serving Prime Minister in Israeli history — even longer than David Ben-Gurion, the country’s first prime minister.
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) constituted a CentralMonitoring Committee to ensure the implementation of action plan meant for reducing pollution stretches across the country.
- It will undertake a national initiative by way of preparation and enforcement of a national plan to make river stretches pollution-free.
- The panel will coordinate with States to oversee the action plans.
Procurement of 464 T-90 tanks cleared
- The government has cleared the procurement of 464 T-90 tanks from Russia in a deal worth over Rs 13,500 crore, despite thetensions with Pakistan.
- Under the new deal, the tanks would be provided to the Armoured Corps of the force which will use them for deployment along the border with Pakistan.
Dost Education bagged Tech prize
- India’s education tech startup ‘Dost Education’ bagged a $25,000 tech prize along with 2 other winners from Tanzania and Egypt. o The Next Billion Edtech Prize 2019 recognizes the most innovative technology destined to have a radical impact on education in low income.
- Dost was awarded for its ability to empower parents to take charge of their child’s early education.
UK introduced online safety regulations
- The UK government introduced the world’s first framework designed to hold internet companies accountable for the safety of those using their services.
- The Online Harms whitepaper is a joint proposal from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and the Home Office
- Various technology companies will be subject to the laws, including social media platforms.
GPF interest retained at 8% for April-June
- The government has retained the interest rate for General Provident Fund (GPF) and other related schemes at 8% for theinterest rate will be applicable on provident funds of central government employees, railways and defence forces.
- The rate is in line with that of the Public Provident Fund.
Namami Gange got global recognition
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) was awarded the distinction of ‘Public Water Agency of the Year’.
- It was awarded by the Global Water Intelligence at the Global
- The Global Water Awards are presented at the Global Water Summit, the major business conference for the water industry worldwide.
Indian Oil bagged AIMA award
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) bagged the prestigious ‘AIMA Managing India Award 2019 for outstanding PSU of the year.
- The award was presented by former President Pranab Mukherjee to Sanjiv Singh, Chairman, Indian Oil.
- The AIMA awards declared under 11 categories, shortlisted 11 eminent enterprises and personalities of the country for their contribution to nation-building.
Vice president conferred awards
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu conferred President’s Certificate of Honour and Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman Awards at New Delhi, recently.
- The award of the Certificate of Honour was introduced in the year 1958 to honour the scholars of Sanskrit, Arabic and Persian Languages.
- Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman was introduced in the year 2002.