www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts current affairs from various Newspapers
Guwahati Railway Station first to get ISO certification in India
- The Guwahati Railway Station has become the first ever railway station in the Indian Railways to get an ISO certification from the National Green Tribunal (NGT) for “providing passenger amenities in a clean and green environment.”
- The station also has amenities such as High-class reserve (VIP) lounge, waiting rooms, AC and non-AC retiring rooms, food courts and sanitation facilities.
- ISO stands for “International Organization for Standardization” that is responsible for establishing the standard in different areas of activities. Many types of ISO certification exist and the one received by Guwahati Railway Station is ISO-14001, which is for Environment Management System as per international norms which were upgraded in 2015. Thus, the station’s certificate reads ISO 14001: 2015.
Avaada Energy raised Rs.1000 crore from ADB
- Avaada Energy Pvt Ltd raised ₹1,000 crore from investors such as the Asian Development Bank on 9 April 2019.
- The equity raised is for financing Avaada Energy’s 2.4 gigawatt (GW) renewable energy portfolio.
- Avaada Group is targeting a 5 GW capacity and has executed 2 GW of renewable energy project in India.
- India has been working on the largest clean energy programme and has an installed renewable energy capacity of 74.79GW. Of this solar and wind power accounts for 25.21GW and 35.14GW respectively.
Army gets more fire power with Dhanus
- The Indian Army received the first batch of six ‘Dhanush’ artillery guns from the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- The guns were handed over by Saurabh Kumar, Director General, Ordnance Factories and the OFB chairman, at a ceremony organized in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- The 155mm x 45 calibre modern artillery gun system was developed by the Ordnance Factories jointly with the Army.
- Dhanush is the first indigenously built 155 mm x 45 calibers long-range artillery gun with a strike range of 38 kilometers.
- It is developed by the Ordnance Factories jointly with the Army.
- Its hitting range is around 11 km more than the imported Bofors guns.
- The artillery gun incorporates the latest features such as:
- An inertial navigation system
- An onboard ballistic computer
- Direct day and night firing system
- A modern target acquisition system
- A communication system
- The gun is also fitted with an inertial navigation system with global positioning system- (GPS) based gun recording and auto-playing, an enhanced tactical computer for onboard ballistic computations, an onboard muzzle velocity recording, an automated gun sighting system equipped with the camera, thermal imaging and laser range finder.
GS-II ( International Affairs)
US, Iran designate each other’s organizations as supporters of terrorism
- The United States has designated Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) as a foreign terrorist organization.
- The designation will potentially open hundreds of foreign companies and business executives to US travel bans and possible prosecution.
- Meanwhile, Iran has threatened to retaliate for the decision, and shortly after it was announced foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on President Hassan Rouhani to include Mideast-based US forces on Iran’s own terrorist list.
NGT formed committee
- The role of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) in addressing the problem of environmental pollution and degradation in India.
- The National Green Tribunal formed a committee to look into the alleged erosion of Yamuna floodplain in Haryana’s Sonipat district.
- The nodal agency for coordination and compliance will be the principal secretary of the Haryana Irrigation and Water Resources Department.
- The joint report may be furnished within 1 month by e-mail so that matter can be taken up before monsoon.
- The NGT was established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010, passed by the Central Government.
- The stated objective of the Central Government was to provide a specialized forum for effective and speedy disposal of cases pertaining to environment protection, conservation of forests and for seeking compensation for damages caused to people or property due to violation of environmental laws or conditions specified while granting permissions
India highest recipient of remittances
- According to World Bank India retained its position as the world’s top recipient of remittances with its diaspora sending a whopping USD 79 billion back home in 2018.
- India was followed by China.
- India has registered a significant flow of remittances from USD 62.7 billion in 2016 to USD 65.3 billion in 2017.
- The money transfer by an individual who is working in a foreign country to a person in his or her home country is called as remittance.
- In developing countries, remittances made by migrants compete as one among the largest financial inflows, with international aid.
- Workers’ remittances form a notable chunk of capital flows from foreign countries, chiefly with respect to the countries exporting labour.
PNB Housing Stake sale to boost PNB capital
- The PNB’s 13% stake sale in PNB Housing Finance for ₹5 billion will strengthen the bank’s capital, as per Moody’s.
- The report said that it estimates the sale will increase PNB’s Common Equity Tier 1 (CET1) ratio by about 40 basis points from the 6.9% reported in December 2018.
- The bank’s pro forma CET1 ratio exceeds the Basel III March 2019 regulatory requirement of 7.375%.
Tata Motors launched initiative for drivers
- Tata Motors Monday launched an initiative to promote driving profession in the trucking space.
- Under the Tata Motors Samarth initiative, the company plans to address four critical areas — health and wellness, insurance, education and financial planning for the drivers’ well-being.
- The auto major aims to reach to five lakh drivers every year under the programme.
Isaak Hayik set new record
- Isaak Hayik became the world’s oldest player to take part in a professional game at the age of 73.
- He set the record by playing as a goalkeeper for Israeli team Ironi or Yehuda recently.
- He received the Guinness World Records prize at a ceremony after the match, just days ahead of his 74th birthday.