www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Daily Current affairs from various newspapers and PIB.
27th edition of the World Book Fair
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development inaugurated the 27th edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair 2019.
- It is organised by National Book Trust (NBT), under Ministry of Human Resource Development in association with India Trade Promotion Organisation.
- Sharjah – the Guest of Honour for this year’s Book Fair.
- The theme of the book fair is ‘Books for Readers with Special Needs’.
- To ensure easier availability of FASTags, Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL), a company promoted by NHAI, is signing MoUs with state-run Oil Marketing Companies (IOCL, BPC, and HPC) for issuance of FASTags through petroleum retail outlets.
- To further supplement the use of FASTags , IHMCL is also planning the launch of two mobile applications – MyFASTag and IHMCLPOS. These apps will enable customers to link the FASTags with their preferred bank account, recharge the FASTag via UPI platform, and also ensure that the tags are bank neutral.
- These measures will eventually help NHAI cater to its commitment of providing a safe, smooth and seamless journey to commuters on National Highways.
- The enhanced adoption of FASTag program will increase user convenience by offering seamless toll-fee payments at Plazas and thus help save time, money and fuel.
- The online payments will improve transparency of toll transactions, reduce revenue leakages, and improve overall efficiency and commercial competitiveness.
- IHMCL is also striving for the vision of One Nation – One Tag by aligning with various State Authorities/SPV to ensure that FASTag becomes the preferred digital payment instrument at State/Municipal Plazas.
- FASTag is device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from prepaid or savings account linked to it.
- It is affixed on the windscreen of vehicle and enables the commuter to drive through toll plazas, without stopping for cash transactions.
Special court in Mumbai declares Mallya a fugitive economic offender
- A special court in Mumbai today declared absconding liquor baron Vijay Mallya a fugitive economic offender (FEO) on a plea of the Enforcement Directorate.
- Mallya has become the first businessman to be declared an FEO under the provisions of the new Fugitive Economic Offenders Act which came into existence in August last year.
- The ED had requested the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) court that Mallya, who is currently in the UK, be declared a fugitive and his properties be confiscated and brought under the control of the Union government as per the provisions of the new FEO Act.
- Special judge MS Azmi declared Mallya an FEO under Section 12 of the Act after hearing extensive arguments from the lawyer of Mallya and the ED counsel.
- Mallya, accused of defaulting on loan repayments and money laundering, had left India in March 2016.
NGT imposes Rs 100 Cr fine on Meghalaya govt
- The National Green Tribunal has imposed a fine of 100 crore rupees on Meghalaya government for its failure to curb illegal coal mining in the state.
- The amount of the fine has to be deposited with the Central Pollution Control Board within two months. The action comes after a high-level committee submitted an adverse report to a bench headed by NGT chairperson AK Goel.
- The report stated that majority of the mines in the state are operating without a lease or licence.
- Senior advocate Raj Panjawani is assisting the tribunal as an amicus curiae in the matter. He said, during the hearing, Meghalaya government admitted that a large number of mines are operating illegally.
- At least 15 miners are trapped in the 370 foot-deep illegal coal mine in Lumthari village of East Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya since December 13. All efforts to pump the water out of flooded mine have been in vain.
PABUK alert to Andaman
- A ‘yellow’ alert has been sounded for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands as a cyclonic storm PABUK is moving towards the archipelago.
- Pabuk is a name given by Laos and means a ‘big fresh water fish’.
- Pabuk originated over the Gulf of Thailand(south china sea –pacific ocean) and neighborhood, moved west north-westwards with a speed of 10 kmph and lay centered over Thailand and neighborhood.
Status Yellow Weather Alert – Be Aware
- The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action.
Status Orange Weather Alert – Be Prepared
- This category of ORANGE level weather warnings is for weather conditions which have the capacity to impact significantly on people in the affected areas
Status Red Weather Alert – Take Action
- The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties.