www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Hindu summary about The outcomes of Trump-Putin summit.
Rocky summit: when Trump met Putin
Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin sat down for their first formal summit meeting, in Helsinki.
- Allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election before the summit.
- Reverses remark on Russia meddling during the summit.
Why this summit is needed?
- Expiry of new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) in 2021 and Russia is keen to continue it
- Discussions about crisis in Ukraine to the civil war in Syria
- The Iran nuclear deal
- The threat posed by nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles discussed at the summit.
- Ukraine is a Texas-sized country wedged between Russia and Europe. It was part of the Soviet Union until 1991, and since then has been a less-than-perfect democracy with a very weak economy and foreign policy that wavers between pro-Russian and pro-European. Click to know more
- During this crisis, the West has tried different methods, including sanctions and pressure tactics, to isolate Russia and change its behavior.
- But Russia was ready facing the economy sanctions rather than coming to a compromise. It is correct to say The West failed.
Strategic Arms Reduction Talks (START),
- It is an arms control negotiations between the United States and the Soviet Union (and, later, Russia) that were aimed at reducing those two countries’ arsenals of nuclear warheads and of the missiles and bombers capable of delivering such weapons.
- This START treaty is going to expire and Russia wants to continue it with consensus of USA.
Outcome of summit:
Though the summit grabbed the eyeballs of the whole world, it’s not clear whether the talks will lead to any significant change in policies.
What to be done?
- Past of these countries should be left behind and go forward.
- USA: Should change its post cold war junk mentality, change its approach in dealing with Russia.
- Russia: Should leave its rogue attitude and be more open and stable in its dealings.