www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Hindu summary about Growing lynching and government response.
Passing the buck: on governments’ response to lynchings
Increasing deaths due to lynchings.
What is Lynching?
- Lynching is a premeditated extrajudicial killing by a group.
- It is most often used to characterize informal public executions by a mob in order to punish an alleged transgressor, or to intimidate a group
- Instances of lynchings and similar mob violence can be found in every society.
- It is to be considered an act of terrorism and punishable by law.
Lynching in India:
- Though Lynching is heard often in recent times ,we can trace back the existence before technology revolution.
- The reason for lynching has changed from time to time but the practice has not stopped.
- Earlier because of superstitious beliefs people used to commit lynching Ex: believing a person as black magic performer etc
- Though these reasons exist even today the situations turned worse as Lynching became a psychic problem.
The mains difference from earlier forms of lynching and today’s situation is
|Earlier days||Present scenario|
|Lynching is due to superstitious beliefs||Due to superstitious, social crimes and those issues which break the society ex: cow slaughtering|
|Though present, not much known as communication was a barrier||Small incidents are also made outrageous due to strong presence of communication and media|
|Not intended to break unity and never a barrier to national interests||Intended to break the society , creating differences|
|Low presence of politics behind Lynching||Mostly backed by political parties for their benefits|
Reasons for increased Lynching:
- Increased cheap communications
- Strong presence of social media
- Selfish media who propagate for their TRP
- Political games especially in rural areas
- Ignorant people with inadequate knowledge of identifying what is real and what could be fake.
- Warning to whats app company
- Imposing punishments and penalties
What need to be done?
- Amending IPC by inserting offences due to lynching
- Create awareness about fake lynching
- Immediate action to be taken by local authorities
Sudden transition in communications system made people unknowing made people more vigilant leaving their senses. So, there is a need to make people realize that everything is not real as shown in video sometimes.