www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Series of Selected best practices of Water management by NITI Ayog. As part of this series will post everyday best water management.
Case 3: Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh- Har Khet ko Paani
- Place of implementation: Andhra Pradesh
- Implementing agency: MoWR, RD & GR
- The steps taken up during intervention were renovation of traditional water structures and promotion of crop diversification.
- Under the program “Har Khet Ko Pani‟ comprehensive Repair, Renovation and Restoration (RRR) of all components in the chain of Tanks was carried out through extensive training of newly formed 610 WUAs and 1383 Community Based Organisations (CBOs).
- The State programme: “Neeru Pragathi” was also implemented and beneficial outcomes were seen during the course. Under More Crop per Drop, the advanced technologies were installed and the bore well mapping was done.
- By implementation of GIS based technologies like geo-tagging of assets the online application procedure was simplified.
- The highest priority was given to creating many water harvesting structures and SMC works under MGNREGS (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme).
- Other steps like incorporation of solar pumping methods, promotion of drip and sprinkler Micro- Irrigation( MI) techniques of irrigation and several other sustainable methods of modern day agriculture were also promoted.
- The impact of the intervention was remarkable as it sets benchmark and suggests several best practices for sustainable agriculture.
- Through this intervention, the irrigation potential was increased by 5,023 Ha, with increase in coverage under micro irrigation by 28, 324 Ha.
- Approximately 45,000 water harvesting structures have been created across the whole area in the district.
- These practices also led to a remarkable rise in water table at some points which was estimated as 32.37m to 10.15m.
- The increase in area under mulching with drip irrigation was 6000Ha and resulted in 60% water saving over the conventional method that were being followed. The concept of loop irrigation was also introduced in that area.
- Restoration and renovation of water bodies can lead to water use efficiency
- Optimal utilisation of the resources.
- Creation of WUAs helped in sustainability of the project.