www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Series of Selected best practices of Water management by NITI Ayog. As part of this series will post everyday best water management.
CASE 2 : Narmada (Sanchore), Rajasthan
Place of implementation: Rajasthan
Implementing agency: Govt. of Rajasthan
- The use of micro irrigation technology like sprinkler and drip irrigation was made mandatory.
- Several initiatives that were taken up during the course were encouragement and enforcement of PIM (Participatory Irrigation Management) and formation of 2236 Water Users Association (WUA) for effective water management.
- Judicious usage of bio drainage in command area and tree plantation along the 1570 km length of canal was also taken up.
- Wide variety of salinity resistant crop for plantation was proposed.
- Steps were taken up for reduction of water allowance to handle drainage and salinity issues.
- Command Area Development and Water Management work were taken in tandem.
- The construction of canal network to utilize the full potential was created. Further steps like conjunctive ground water and surface water use has been proposed.
- The adoption of sprinkler irrigation system in place of conventional irrigation method resulted in numerous benefits.
- The Culturable Command Area (CCA) increased from 1.35 Lac hectares to 2.46 hectares with same quantity of water by adopting Sprinkler system in the entire project.
- There has been significant reduction in losses, both in cultivation and land loss.
- A comparatively high amount of efficiency is attained with automation and mechanization of the facility and irrigating structure.
- Outcomes of the irrigation intervention enabled extension of benefit from 89 villages to 233.
- Drinking water facility has also been provided in 1541 villages and three towns, which was not proposed earlier. The food production has increased from 534 cr. to 1480 cr. i.e. by 946 cr. (277%) based on year 2013-14. 20% of the area has been dedicated to growing Kharif crop in the modified project.
- Micro irrigation processes help in achieving high efficiency and reduces water use as in the conventional methods.
- Establishment of integrated irrigation system that comprises of canal systems, micro irrigation facilities and a network that even handles the problems of salinity, soil moisture, drainage etc.
- Conjunctive use of ground and surface water.