www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Series of Selected best practices of Water management by NITI Ayog. As part of this series will post everyday best water management.
- Mission Kakatiya is a flagship program under Telangana government aimed at restoring minor irrigation sources of water like ponds and tanks.
- The objective is to enhance the development of Minor Irrigation infrastructure, strengthening community based irrigation management in a decentralized manner and to adopt a comprehensive programme for restoration of tanks and sources of water to effectively utilize 265 TM of water allocated for minor irrigation sector under Godavari and Krishna river Basins.
- Gram Sabha were conducted and the proposed plans were discussed with the villagers. Farmers were motivated to co-operate and were suggested to deposit the silt for field preparation.
- Several district level coordination committees were formed. Emphasis was given for improvement in delivery time of services.
- Steps like tank de-siltation, restoration of the feeder channels, re-sectioning of irrigation channels, repair of bund, weir and sluice, raising of FTL (Full Tank Level) wherever required were carried out.
- It helped in increasing the storage capacity of tanks and other water bodies. It helped in making water available and accessible to small and medium farmers in particular and benefitted other farmers as well.
- Helped in increasing the water retention capacity of the sources and also helped in improving the on-farm moisture retention capacity.
- The intervention bridged the 63% ayacut gap and also helped in stabilization of ayacut under minor irrigation.
- Measures like mixing of the slit on farm land preparation reduced the use of chemical fertilizers and also improved the land water retention capacity.
- An appreciable change was observed in the nutritive values of the soil. It resulted in diversification of high value crop and crop intensification and also gave rise to loop irrigation.
- Other achievements that accompanied the project are development of fisheries and livestock and rise in the ground water levels in that area.
- The increase in plantation of palm trees on the slopes also added to the income generation for the rural people.
- Public participation will lead to ownership and help in long-term sustainability of the interventions.
- Restoration and maintenance of water resources should be a continual process and local people should be trained to manage their resources