www.iasinsights.in ; www.iasgyaan.com posts Indian express summary-28th June 2018 about Need of reforms in Public education system.
Have you ever heard about Admissions closed in public schools? Yes, in the recent times public schools in Telangana witnessed this. There is a need to understand how it happened and what it need to be made for such victory in public schools is discussed here. Telangana government school becomes too popular; admissions stopped
Educational spaces to remain equal and socially to be kept away from evil market.
How to keep it socially?
- Making elite sections to pay public schools and public higher education system.
- To make the elite sections pay, quality of schools to be increased.
- Increased pay of elite section will enable the quality of schools and thus education is available to non elite sections as well
- Why does the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act 2009 not guarantee equal “quality” education to all?
- Why does it allow private schools to put a price tag on quality education?
- Why does it allow only restricted access to quality government schools like the Kendriya Vidyalayas?
- In India , the average good quality high school education costs more than five times the average good quality college education.
- In civilsed economies like Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, Norway and Canada it is opposite that is the enrollment in state-funded schools is as high as 80 per cent to 95 per cent.
- To increase such enrollment in Govt schools the quality in the name of Infrastructure , teachers, syllabus completion etc to be improved.
- The other major problem is education in India is a commodity for sale rather than seen as Public Good.
- Lack of funding
- Lack of structured and responsible management.
- Elite sections will not enroll in public schools
- Poor sections will be denied quality education
- students from socially and economically disadvantaged sections continue to face disadvantages in higher education.
- The increase in suicides among students coming from these sections is alarming. Far from supporting these students with English language, academic writing and other skills, institutions demand these skills from them.
- students from public schools cant clear Higher education exams like JEE, NEET making higher education exclusive to rich students who can enroll in private schools if not in public schools.
What GOI has done ?
- RTE Act, 2009 was incorporated under Art 21(A) enabling the public schools to be of better standards
- Mandating 25% reservation in private schools for socially and economically weaker sections
- Bio metric attendance of teachers and staff initiated to make their work appropriate.
Private schools are needed but public schools need to strengthened to make quality Education inclusive. The recent success of public schools in Telangana has revamped the public education system. It is evident that if quality is improved obviously the enrollments will increase making people to choose public schools over private schools. This helps in decrease in out pocket expenditure and increased human resource quality.